Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Discovering Everyday Blessings

One big problem I'm having with this outage is how to keep kids occupied after dinner. It's never been a problem before - that is Daddy time. Everyday he comes home and hangs out with the kids. They do puzzles or he lays on the floor and they crawl all over him. It's simple really - just one more body in the room to engage their attention. I guess I knew it all along, but that body is VITAL!!! What a day we have when there is no Daddy Time! Did you know that 1.5 hours can become an eternity? It seems like the children just revolt and turn into wrecking balls destroying my house and trying to kill each other all while the baby cries because she's ready for bed early. I've tried TV - it worked one night, maybe two.

I suppose it's a blessing to realize how vital a presence is in your home and know that they will be back. Ben's worked so much that by the time his day off comes I genuinely miss him. It's been a long time since we've been apart enough for me to miss him, and I am reminded of the days when we lived in two different states. In some ways, it has rekindled romance - distance makes the heart grow fonder.

So far we're regressing in potty training, unfocused on school, and acting out in all manner of ways. On the upside we've met new people and are learning to appreciate each other. Hopefully we'll come out of this a better family.

Oh - our camera broke so no pics for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment