Thursday, October 25, 2012

Being a Homemaker in 2012

Someone recommended a book to me recently called Large Family Logistics. It has a lot of practical tips for running a household with homeschooling, multiple children, a stay-at-home mom, etc... Some of the philosophy Ben and I don't share, but I will say that there are some good points. One is that women, in particular, are not taught anymore how to run a household. We are raised to be a 2-income family and have careers. In fact, stay-at-home motherhood is no longer considered a respectable profession and we do not learn the techniques to manage it that used to be taught at our mother's apron.

Case in point, one thing I have learned is how to get a shower everyday. Not easy - at all. In fact, I have to get up at 5:00 am to do it. But if I wake up early I have time for a shower and coffee before the kids are up. That in and of itself means our morning is smoother and less grumpy. It also gives me the opportunity to make Ben a breakfast sandwich and make his lunch. These aren't expected chores, they are just nice things to do for your spouse. It's great that I have an opportunity to do that and makes his morning better too. I got the idea from the book. Why it didn't come to me on its own, I don't know. I guess I'm just too tired.

My point is that we don't learn how to juggle laundry, housework, and child-rearing. We're also doing it without the support of an extended family most of the time. We aren't built to be on our own as parents of young children, but we are now. So, we need community support, which is hard to come by because most families have two working parents or single parents. It's given me a lot to think about when it comes to raising my own children. I hope that I can figure out enough to teach my daughters (and sons if I have them) how to manage a home. I'm not blaming my upbringing because I think this is cultural. What used to be taught as a matter of course is simply missing. I can't sew, for example. I wish I could. Maybe I'll learning enough in the next few years to really change our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment