Thursday, June 4, 2009

Day 2 of Breastfeeding only!

So, we are still breastfeeding only, and Cecilia is refusing to finger-feed! We breastfed last night, and it seemed to go well. She went to bed at 10:30 and then woke at 3am. She fed for an hour and slept until 6 am. This is good and normal, but at the 6am this morning she decided that she wanted to nurse for a few hours. Around 8, I gave a slightly dozing baby to Ben with instructions to finger feed so I could sleep before he went to work. Not too much later, she was hungry but only took an ounce from Ben and wanted the breast! It looks like she prefers breastfeeding, so babysitters may have some trouble with her. It's a good sign for the future, though.

We are still using the nipple shield, but I'm working on getting her to latch without it for part of a feeding. So far, this has had limited success. She still doesn't like to keep her mouth open wide unless something, aka a nipple shield, is making her. It's only her second day breastfeeding, though, so hopefully it won't take her too long. In the meantime, I'm still supposed to pump after feedings. I try to do this, but she likes to nurse for a long time most of the time and I don't have the opportunity to pump. My supply still seems ample, so lets hope everything remains good. The next step - get her off the nipple shield and on to the breast alone!

1 comment:

  1. I knew you could do it! Way to go. I am so proud of all three of you. Cecilia has the best parents in the world. Give her hugs and kisses from Oma.

    ReplyDelete