Friday, January 29, 2010

Announcing ...

We are expecting our second baby September 9, 2010! We're very excited about it, although I'm not sure how excited Cecilia is about the changes already happening.

I have morning sickness (or rather all day sickness) this time around, and I can't maintain a milk supply sufficient to meet her calorie needs. If the stubborn baby ate solid food, it might be ok :)! Hence, we've started supplementing with formula, which she is finally starting to take on occasion - if Ben feeds it to her. She hasn't nursed in over a month, even at night, but evidently she must associate breast milk with me, still. She only needs about 4 ounces of formula a day, but the smell of it makes me sick. Maybe it's just because I'm not used to it, but even rinsing the bottles after a feeding I have to hold my breath. It's not what we envisioned when Cecilia was born, but I guess nothing usually works out the way you anticipate.

We're taking a different approach toward prenatal care and delivery with this baby. I'm going to wait until we're in NY and find a midwife there to hopefully do a homebirth. I've already scoped out a few and will begin calling a week or two before we move. I should be around 12 weeks when we move, so we aren't concerned about waiting. Plus, I've been on prenatal vitamins since before I got pregnant with Cecilia, so there's not much a doctor here would do except get me admitted into a group and tell me which day I got pregnant (which I already know ;) ). I have my trusty Brewer Diet to follow too! Although, with the morning sickness I haven't been getting my eggs or my protein. I try though!

This pregnancy is already different than the last, although this time I'm taking care of a baby and still tying to exclusively breastfeed. I think the women who nurse throughout a pregnancy must have older babies who eat solids, because I can feel the energy draining from my body and I just can't get enough calories! We'll see what the next 32 weeks bring. We're very excited and looking forward to our newest addition! Any bets on boy or girl? We'll have to wait until delivery day to know though (sorry to my sisters, who want to crochet in advance). I'll go on the record now as saying I think it will be a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment