Saturday, September 12, 2009

Career Change

This has been coming for months, but I (Hannah) made my career change official last week. I am going to leave grad school with a 2nd Masters of Science in Materials Science. I will not be getting my PhD. As a result, my RA (research assistant) position will end September 30. In the interim I am teaching two classes at Madison Area Technical College (MATC). I teach Intermediate Algebra I from 8:30-9:20 am on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. I also teach Elementary Algebra with Applications, the class I've taught in the past, from 4:30-6:50 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It is a lot of work, but I am able to do it at home and the schedule allows Ben to spend more time at work. Before, neither of us were getting enough time to do our work since I needed to spend a great deal of time on campus. Generally, Celia gets up after 11 so now I am able to get home from teaching before she wakes up for the day and Ben can get to work by 10:30 or so. Then, he can come home early twice a week to allow me time to get to my evening class. The schedule is much better for the family and our stress level is much lower. I think this is for the best and we are now looking forward to getting settled somewhere for the long-term.

No comments:

Post a Comment